How Long Does It Take To Dry A Flooded House?
Homes are built or chosen with a lot of thought and according to a family’s needs. These homes are decorated and maintained with care. But sometimes, homes can be exposed to elements that cause damage. Water damage is a common cause of property damage in the US. Flooding in homes can be external due to extreme weather and natural disasters. It can also be due to leaks in pipes, faulty appliances, or faulty plumbing, which can be accidental and sudden or poor maintenance.
Water damage restoration needs to be done as quickly as possible. The longer the house and objects are exposed to water and moisture, the more the extent of the water damage. Drying the house and restoring it to a normal condition is essential. Proven Restoration LLC provides water damage restoration services in Houston, Texas. This article shares some details about how a house is dried after flooding.
The steps of the water damage restoration process are
- Assessment of the damage
- Water removal
- Drying and dehumidification
- Cleaning and disinfection
- Restoration and Repair
Once the water source is identified and stopped, the standing water that has flooded the house is removed. The next step is to dry the affected area and any items exposed to the water. If the drying is not complete, retained moisture can mold growth. Just like the extent of damage varies according to many factors, how long the drying process takes depends on the severity of the flooding.
What Is To Be Dried
- Flooring, Carpets, Rugs
- Furniture and Furnishing
The risk of mold or any microbial growth has to be eliminated by drying, cleaning, and disinfection. This is why it is better to hire a water damage restoration company. Their trained professionals use their expertise and specialized equipment for drying the area. Objects or materials may need to be replaced if the damage is from floodwater or exposed to moisture for more than 72 hours.
The drying process is a time-consuming part of water damage restoration. It can take 12 hours to a few weeks depending on the area affected, the extent of damage, and the methods used. Methods used to dry out water are:
- Dehumidification: Dehumidifiers are used after water extraction to remove moisture from the air and materials in an area. It is a faster, more effective, and safe method of drying. It can be done until moisture levels are safe enough when measured.
- Fans/Forced Air Drying: Fans promote air circulation and aid the drying process. However, if mold is suspected, this method can cause the spread of decay through the forced air.
- Air Drying: This is a simple process and only involves facilitating natural air circulation methods, like opening a window. However, this takes the longest to dry out anything. It can be used only in small spaces and dry, sunny seasons. It is not practical in places where high levels of humidity are present.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say that homes should be cleaned and dried quickly after a storm or flood ends and within 24 to 48 hours if possible to prevent mold growth. But this can take up to weeks. Hiring a professional water damage restoration company licensed in mold remediation is beneficial. This is because their trained professionals are skilled in noticing mold growth, advising on the proper procedure to handle mold concerns, and providing mold remediation services if deemed necessary.
Proven Restoration LLC is a water damage restoration company providing water damage restoration, flood damage restoration, and mold remediation services in the Houston Metropolitan area. For prompt service, they can be contacted at (832) 430-7320.